Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review of ZNMD

Well to kick off my review on Zindagi Naa Milegi Dobara [ZNMD], let me say something about the Jana Gana Mana that was played at Big Cinema. They have shown that its a scenario where few dumb and mute kids perform our National Anthem with the help of sign language. Generally, while standing up for NA I get goose-pimples but this time it was something different. I never felt so humbled. It was just awesome. My heart went out to those children and my eyes were bit wet. A warm feeling of being an Indian. Watch it out yourself to believe in what I’m saying. Also, one more thing to which I would like to comment upon is that why the hell do they write ‘PLEASE stand up for the National Anthem’. Don’t we ourselves know that it’s our moral duty to do that. Then, do they tell us about it. Few people were talking on their cell during that time period. I felt like going all the way and kicking them on their ass. There was this Govt. Agencies advertisement where they were showing about being a vigilant citizen and the young group next to me was making fun of that. It’s really bad to see such things. Just one thing for them - May God Bless you. 

Now the real thing comes. Man! It’s more than just a movie. It’s like a joy-ride where one goes through multiple experiences. I’ve to share something here. I read this quote by a French film-maker named Federico Fellini which goes aptly with the mood of the movie ZNMD- ‘Cinema is an old whore, like circus and variety, who knows how to give many kinds of pleasure’. This is what is all about the movie. Story is very simple. Three guys go on a road trip [kinda bachelor party stuff]. All three of them have one or the other problem in their life which they sort out during this trip. At the word go, one may get a feel that it’s an elongated version of Dil Chahta Hai. But in reality, it is not so.
I’m not at all saying that ZNMD is the best thing that has happened to Hindi Film Industry, but it’s a movie made with the heart in the right place. And this is the sole reason why I’ praising it. I believe every good effort must be thrown a light upon. Not many people will like it. They will say ‘dude, not everybody is so rich to spend three weeks in Spain’. Come on! You never watch a movie to bring it down to your life. We all know that they simply sell dreams. The cinematography of Carlos Catalan captures the Spain at it’s very best. All the three adventure sports are shot in such a way that they make you feel the fire at your own seat, especially the Sky-Diving stunt. The sports scenes look like a beautiful painting in every frame. Direction-wise, I feel Zoya Akhtar stands one up as compared to Farhan Akhtar. Even her debut/last venture as director, Luck By Chance, was also a nice one. She handles everything at the level of subtlety.
Farhan’s dialogue were, again, very basic and simple that we use in our daily life [not to be confused with the ones of Delhi Belly type]. Reema Kagti too deserves an applause for writing the final draft so well. There was nothing over-the-top about the movie. Things were presented as they are. There is this special quality about the trio of Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. There music does not connects with all at the word go. It stirs in your mind the way a cube of ice stirs in a glass of whiskey. I simple hated the track Senorita, but still I was humming it while it was played. This is what I call ‘magic’. I would like to make a special mention of one person over here. He is none other than Mr. Javed Akhtar. Boss! He was, he is and he will continue to remain a Legend. His poems, not just in songs but the nazms rendered by Farhan at the continous intervals, gave me a thing to really think about. His special characteristic is his simplicity of writing. He is not somebody like Gulzar who will wove a web of words. He too puts the things simply the way they are. I guess this is what Zoya has inherited from him.
Acting-wise, it would be unfair to compare who was good though I felt Hrithik’s role was bit underdeveloped. Farhan was good at his humorous best. Abhay could have delivered bit better version of his. Katrina was as always a beauty. God knows when will she correct her accent/diction. Kalki was irritating. This is what her role was. And she succeeded in irritating! Katrina and Hrithik’s kissing scene was also a plus point of the movie. It was not something of Emraan Hashmi kinda kissing scene which is quite filthy and full of lust. Rather, it was very sweet. I did not found a single person whistling at it. Mr. Naseeruddin Shah was there for two scenes. And he overtook everyone. The way he said ‘sach kya hai? Sab ka apna-apna ek alag version hota hai sach ka’ and the sigh after that forced me to say just one thing- ‘wow! Sir, you are rocking even at 62!’ 
To conclude, I would say, watch it out for yourself. I found it to be completely paisa-vasool. It’s a movie which totally justifies it’s title. I would rate it 4*/5*. Probably the best movie of 2011 so far. Hats off to poor Zoya, whose movie is suffering due to this 13/7 issue. Go unwind yourself, or as the tag-line of the movie goes- LET YOURSELF GO!

P.S. best scene was where they say- MAENTAL BWOUYZZZZ.... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment